Key Maintenance - Tip #41
Cleaning Dishwasher (sourced various websites)
1. Get out the owner's manual - If you can't remember where you put it (or you never had one), you should be able to find the owner's manual for your dishwasher online, along with the recommended maintenance instructions. Finding it first will help when it comes to completing the other steps. Check the make and model of your dishwasher and do an online search for it.
2. Unclog the Sprayer Arm Nozzles - First, remove the racks for the dishwasher so you can easily get to the sprayer arm. Check the nozzles on the sprayer arms for clogs. Clean them as necessary with a toothpick or pipe cleaners.
Benefit: When the nozzles are clean, they will spray better and your dishes will come out cleaner.
3. Clean the Drain - Unplug your dishwasher. The plug for it is probably under the sink, if it is a built-in model. You may even want to turn off the circuit breaker just to be sure. Check your owner's manual to see if the tray around the drain just slides off or is easily removable, and follow those instructions. Remove any food or debris from the drain at the bottom of the unit.
Benefit: The pump won't have to work as hard, and you'll eliminate drain odors.
4. Inspect and Touch Up the Racks Inspect the racks for chips, and repair any that you find with dishwasher rack touch up paint. Dishwasher rack touch up paint comes in multiple colors, so take the time to find a paint that matches your racks. Order it direct from the manufacturer or through an online retailer, like Amazon.
If your dishwasher racks are already badly rusted, look into buying replacement racks. You may be able to find them on eBay for less than the manufacturer sells them.
Benefit: The racks won't rust, and you won't have to worry about your dishes getting chipped on the exposed metal.
5. Run Vinegar Through a Dishwasher Cycle to Remove Soap Scum Replace the racks, allowing touch-up paint to dry if used. Place a cup of vinegar on the top rack of the dishwasher, and run it through a complete cycle. A packet of unsweetened lemon-flavored drink mix may be used in place of the vinegar. Just pour it into the detergent compartment, and run the dishwasher through a cycle.
Benefit: Hard water deposits, soap scum and rust stains will be removed from the walls of the dishwasher.
If you have other priorities in your life, we have professionals who can help. My Home Expert is your single source for your home. Call or text us at 224-300-0672 for more information or visit our website (http://www.myhomeexpertinc.com) to learn more about our My Home Expert services and Proactive Maintenance Plans.