Cleaning your washing machine: (sourced various websites)
Cleaning Directions for Top Loaders:
1. Spray down the machine with All-purpose cleaner (e.g. vinegar/Dawn soap mixture).
2. Using your old toothbrush, clean all the crevices and cracks that would be hard to reach with just a rag or paper towel.
3. Open your fabric dispenser and wipe down the inside with a paper towel and toothbrush.
4. Wash the dispenser part in your sink with hot water. Depending on the build-up, you may need that old toothbrush again!
5. Place the dispenser back in, wipe everything down (don’t forget that bleach dispenser!) and run the machine through a short rinse cycle with hot water.
Cleaning Directions for Front Loaders:
Front loaders have a tendency to grow mold under the seal. If this is a problem for you, you’re going to want to follow the first bleach steps for sure.
1. Pour some bleach into a bowl, and while wearing gloves, place a paper towel into the bleach and make sure it’s soaked well.
2. Place the paper towel under the rubber seal around the opening.
3. Repeat until you have bleach-soaked paper towels around the entire opening (even the top).
4. Let that soak for at least an hour.
5. While that’s soaking, remove the soap dispenser tray, and wash in your sink with hot water.
6. Using your all-purpose cleaner, clean out the opening where your tray was. You may have to pull out that old toothbrush!
7. Once cleaned out, put the tray back in, and wipe down the machine, inside and out.
8. With your gloves on, remove the paper towels from under the rubber seal. You may still find staining from the mold.
My Home Expert focuses on prevention rather than repair (although we do all home and equipment repairs too). Our Proactive Maintenance Plans target key potential issues in the home rather than waiting and fixing problems. You’ll be able to better budget your annual home maintenance expenses - we take the hassle out of homeownership.
Just click here to check out our Proactive Maintenance Plans and sign up.