Key Maintenance Plan - Tip #17
Simple Do It Yourself Tips for Autumn: (sourced various websites)
1. Check carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms and put in fresh batteries. These are very important detectors to have in a home. A smoke alarm can save lives in a house fire. A carbon monoxide detector can also save lives if a home has oil or gas-burning appliances, like a furnace or water heater.
2. Use a screwdriver to probe the wood trim around windows, doors, railings and decks. Use caulk to fill the holes or completely replace the wood.
3. To prevent exterior water pipes from bursting when the weather gets below freezing, turn off the valves to the exterior hose bibs. Run the water until the pipes are empty. Make sure all the water is drained from the pipes, if not, the water can freeze up and damage the pipes.
4. Wrap water pipes that run along exterior walls with heating tape. It will save energy and prevent them from freezing.
5. Check the attic to make sure the insulation is installed properly. The vapor barrier on insulation should face down toward the living space.
My Home Expert's handyman services can help with these tips if you don’t feel confident enough to do them yourself. Other key HVAC and plumbing services should be done in the fall by professionals. You can utilize My Home Expert service providers for these as well. Let My Home Expert be your Trusted, Single Source, Total Home Care Solution. Visit www.myhomeexpertinc.com and sign up today.