Simple Safety Tips for Your Home Security: (sourced various websites)
1. Make home security a habit, with every member of the household—including kids—agreeing to a routine that should include such simple rules as:
Use door and window locks. It costs nothing and takes little energy. Make it a habit to lock every door and window when leaving, after entering, and before bedtime.
Do not open the door to uninvited or unwelcome visitors.
Close and lock the garage door.
Secure your home even if you’re doing work around the house and yard.
Use your alarm system all the time, even when you take a quick trip to the store or visit next-door neighbors.
2. The key under the mat, inside the mailbox, beneath a rock—everybody hides a house key. Problem is, burglars know your hiding places. Instead, give it to a trusted neighbor.
3. Post security-company signs or window stickers near all entryways—whether you have a security system or not. Maybe you have signs/stickers on hand from a previous contract with a security firm, or maybe you can get some from a friend. In addition, post a few “Beware of Dog” signs in visible spots, say at the front of the house or on a gate to the backyard.
4. If you don’t have them already, buy and install outdoor lighting with infrared motion sensors and install one near each point of entry. Replace any burned-out lightbulbs and put your porch lights on timers.
5. When you leave for work, appointments or go on vacation, you can create a “someone’s at home” look using timers on lights and TVs.
6. Many municipal police departments offer complimentary home inspections. An officer walks through your home and recommends simple, cost-effective changes to tighten security.
My Home Expert service providers can install security systems or you can utilize our handyman services for help with the installation of some of the above ideas. Let My Home Expert be your Trusted, Single Source, Total Home Care Solution. Visit www.myhomeexpertinc.com and sign up today.